Friday, September 27, 2013

Flashback Friday: TV Shows I Miss (Part One)

Flashback Friday is a series where I get in the wayback machine and revisit some of my favorite things from years past. It can be anything really, random stuff from teh intarwebz, books, movies, games, et cetera. 

I love television and I have my entire life. Over the course of my 26 years, I've seen a lot of TV shows that have come and gone. Some ran their course, some were canceled too soon. Some I didn't get to see during their first run. Especially since we're at the beginning of the Fall TV premiere season, I thought I'd take a look at some gems which I particularly miss and would love to see again in some form. In addition, this list isn't ranked. I just happened to go with the first few shows that popped into my brain. I'll definitely be thinking of more.



Forever Knight (1989; 1992-1996)
Of all of the shows on this list, Forever Knight is the one that I think has the most potential to be resurrected. Before Angel and Mick St. John there was Nick Knight, an 800 year old vampire turned police detective. While Rick Springfield originated the role in the CBS movie Nick Knight, it was Geraint Wyn Davies who would go on to portray the titular vampire for three seasons. Even if CBS didn't want to bring the show back, I'd love for Syfy to show some reruns. I do know that Alan Kistler has ideas, so if any filmmaker types want to give him a shout, I know that he'd put something awesome together!


Celebrity Deathmatch (1998-2002)
I absolutely loved Celebrity Deathmatch. I'd watch new episodes, I'd binge watch the marathons on MTV, I'd chat about it with my friends. I was a huge fan. Of course, this was during my prime WWE viewing as well, so I was a bit of a wrestling fan in general. I was especially delighted when Stone Cold Steve Austin joined the cast.

Celebrity Deathmatch took the platform of wrestling and merged it with popular culture in a hilarious way. By having two famous entities hash out their feud or settle a score, the loser was left most of the time in a mess of blood and gore. It was absolutely fantastic. If you take a look at the media personalities of today like Miley Cyrus, The Kardashians, Kanye, etc, they would all be fantastic fodder for the show. I'm particularly fond of this match-up, which pitted Gwenyth Paltrow against Winona Rider. You can find some of the best matches on YouTube, so if you've never seen Celebrity Deathmatch, I suggest you check it out.



Diagnosis Murder (1993-2001)
I love Dick Van Dyke and I grew up watching The Dick Van Dyke Show in re-runs on Nick at Night then on TV Land. I idolized him in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Mary Poppins. Then, I got to see a whole new side of him in Diagnosis Murder. I watched a lot of TV with my Grandparents when I was growing up, so I never missed an episode of Diagnosis Murder. I think the line-up on CBS used to go Early Edition (OMG Kyle Chandler!) then Diagnosis Murder. Needless to say, it was a pretty epic night of television. Even if Dick Van Dyke wouldn't want to bring the series back, I'd love to see a one-off movie like they've done with Murder She Wrote!


What TV shows would you love to see resurrected? Share in the comments!


Be sure to like Kentucky Geek Girl on Facebook and follow my daily updates on Twitter! If you have any questions or want to discuss partnership opportunities, be sure to send me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment