Monday, September 30, 2013

Stuff That Doesn't Suck 13


Stuff That Doesn’t Suck is a meme where I graciously share with you the things that I come across in a week that do not suck. This includes a variety of things from books to music to YouTube and even more. Feel free to join in on the comments or on your own blog.

IRL, the last couple of weeks have kind of sucked. I got the pseudo-con crud after Cincinnati Comic Expo and I've been trying to catch up on sleep, house work, and home work every since. I'm definitely feeling a lot better now and though I've got a ton of homework, I thought I'd take a minute to share some things I found around the Internet that didn't suck.

Ask a Slave
I've mentioned before that I was a history major. My focus is American History and I have particular fondness for Colonial America. When I saw that Bex had posted a link to Ask a Slave, I knew I had to take a look at this new web series. Actress Jordan Black worked as a living history character at Mount Vernon, George Washington's home. If you've ever worked at a museum or historic site, you know that people will ask some pretty irrelevant questions, but it's your job to steer the conversation back to the topic at hand. Black took real situations from her time at Mount Vernon and created a thoughtful and apt web series. I especially love the way she stays in her Lizzie Mae character to answer some of the most ridiculous questions such as, "Where do your children attend school?" and "Why don't you just go to the North?"


h/t to Bex of Feminine Miss Geek

Ian McKellen to play Sherlock Holmes
I love Ian McKellen and I love Sherlock Holmes, so this is a perfect pairing. Following the movies with Robert Downey, Jr. and two television series comes an annoucement of a new take on the signature character. Based on the novel by Mitch Cullin, A Slight Trick of the Mind is set in 1947 and follows the elderly detective who is still haunted by an unsolved case. No word on who would play the Watson to McKellen's Holmes, but we already know how well he and Sir Patrick Stewart work together.

Source: The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/sep/05/ian-mckellen-sherlock-holmes-slight-trick

Assassin's Creed 'Pirate Heist' Trailer
I'm so behind in this series that I haven't played Brotherhood or Assassin's Creed III, but I must say that I am terribly excited for Black Flag, which will release in November. I was delighted to see that ACIII focused on the American Revolution and I do know that there is a bit of nautical activity in the game. However, I have a particular affinity for pirates and would love to be a pirate historian. In this new trailer from Ubisoft, some of the world's most famous pirates plan the ultimate job. With the inclusion of  names like Edward Teach (aka Blackbeard), Charles Vane, and Anne Bonney, I'm so excited to see how they treat the history of piracy. I hope to pick it up when it's released for PC on November 22.


Adorable video of otters playing
There are few things better than animal videos and this is no exception. These otters seem to be having a lovely day on their tree stump. It's fabulous. I'm pretty sure that the otter is my spirit animal.



 h/t to Leila of The Fandomonium (also my co-host for The Eclectic Geek Podcast!)

Demonic Colonel Sanders
KFC

Yep. That's about right.

Source: The Laughing Squid http://laughingsquid.com/how-to-make-colonel-sanders-a-demon/
Be sure to like Kentucky Geek Girl on Facebook and follow my daily updates on Twitter! If you have any questions or want to discuss partnership opportunities, be sure to send me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment