Friday, October 25, 2013

Flashback Friday - Are You Afraid of the Dark

As a child of the 1990s, I spent many a weekend watching marathons of Nickelodeon's Are You Afraid of the Dark. The tales of the Midnight Society both entertained and frightened my childhood self and I have fond memories of the series.


Submitted for your approval, I call this story... Flashback Friday: Are You Afraid of the Dark?

This is a selection of my favorite episodes from the show. I've tried to find a video for all of them. Some are split into pieces, but some of these actually have the full episode online. I hope you enjoy these as much as I do. Be sure to leave a comment and let me know what your favorite episode is.

The Tale of Midnight Madness - Season 2, Episode 2
Dr. Vink sells a copy of Nosferatu to a failing theater and strange things begin to happen.



The Tale of the Night Shift - Season 5, Episode 12
A girl starts a volunteering with her local hospital and soon notices that patients and staff are being turned into some sort of vampire-zombie hybrid.






















Watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8scaAkakC0

The Tale of the Thirteenth Floor - Season 2, Episode 4
A vacant floor in their building suddenly becomes occupied and two kids realize that things aren't exactly as they should be.



The Tale of the Frozen Ghost - Season 2, Episode 9
Three words: I'm so cold. Bonus Melissa Joan Hart (still at the height of Clarissa Explains It All) as the babysitter!


The Tale of Quicksilver - Season 3, Episode 11
Demonic possession, witchcraft, and Tatyana Ali, who was riding the wave of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. This is a great episode!



The Tale of Laughing in the Dark - Season 2, Episode 2
Even for the second episode, I think that this had definite scare factor. I never had much of a problem with clowns when I was a kid, but this episode started changing my opinion, though this is more about the man behind the clown rather than the clown itself.



The Tale of The Lonely Ghost - Season 1, Episode 3
Another very early episode, this remained one of the best ghost stories of the series and even had a happy ending. Super creepy.



The Tale of The Hatching - Season 2, Episode 12
Okay, so this episode made me never want to attend a boarding school. Also, as I recollect, I think what scared me most about this episode was the idea of hiding in plain sight, that a harmless boarding school could be a mask for something much more nefarious. It also makes me think of Human Nature/The Family of Blood from Doctor Who, maybe because I think that Son of Mine would fit right in.



The Tale of the Ghastly Grinner - Season 4, Episode 9
A comic book villain a la The Joker turns his victims into drooling fools. Pretty darn creepy.



The Tale of Dead Man's Float - Season 5, Episode 1
A school is built on top of a graveyard. Nothing bad can happen, right? Spoiler alert: it can.



What's your favorite episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Be sure to like Kentucky Geek Girl on Facebook and follow my daily updates on Twitter! If you have any questions or want to discuss partnership opportunities, be sure to send me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment