Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Geeky Flea Market Finds

I don't know if it's something unique to Kentucky, but it seems like there are flea markets and peddler's malls in almost ever town. When I was a kid, I would browse through the used video game and movie offerings at the Hillbilly Flea Market in Russell. On a recent trip to Morehead, I stopped in at the Peddler's Mall there and found some items which were rather unique. It definitely has a different feel than going into an antique store, because a lot of items that I came across were really not worth anything. However, I did find some interesting gems that I wanted to share. I didn't end up buying anything, but these items struck my fancy.


The Complete Next Generation Trek IQ Book was compiled by Alan G. Rochussen. It was originally printed in 1998. Here's a summary of the book:

How high is your Star Trek IQ? 

Star Trek: The Next Generation was the most popular and entertaining SF television show of all time. With more than half a million fans attending over a hundred conventions annually, the excitement continues today. 

If you are serious about your favourite show, here is your chance to prove it, with a unique, entertaining survey-guide that dares to go where no guidebook has gone before -- all the way from the episode #1 ('Encounter at Farpoint') to #177 ('All Good Things...'). 

This comprehensive, authoritative book covers every single episode, and includes multiple choice questions, character trivia, plot puzzlers, cryptograms, crossword puzzles, word searches and riddles. It is designed not only to test your knowledge of this immortal series, but to improve it dramatically -- and to award you and your friends with a Mission Performance Rating, and an actual Starfleet ranking -- from ensign to admiral.


Okay, so admittedly I wouldn't buy a 2003 calendar, but it had some awesome pictures of all of the Star Trek captains from Kirk to Janeway. Honestly, I would have bought it, but it had significant water damage. Hopefully it was well loved back in 2003!


I hadn't gone into the Peddler's Mall that afternoon expecting to buy anything, but if this set of I, Claudius had been DVD, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. I'll be finishing my BA in History in December, but I also have a mnior in Classics. My favorite period in Classical history is the Roman Empire. I, Claudius is a mini-series from the BBC which premiered in 1976. While a work of fiction, I think that I, Claudius provides an interesting view of the Julio-Claudian line. Some of my favorite actors are in it: John Hurt (Harry Potter, Hellboy, V for Vendetta) plays the Roman Emperor Caligula and it's so over the top, it's fantastic. Patrick Stewart (X-Men, Star Trek: The Next Generation) plays Sejanus, who was prefect of the Praetorian Guard, essentially bodyguards for the emperor. John Rhys-Davies, Derek Jacobi, and Brian Blessed (all fantastic actors) round out the cast. I know that it's ridiculously campy and it's basically a Roman soap opera, I just love it!



Here are some WTF items:


So, apparently this is an air-brushed poster titled "Hollywood" and it just features the portraits of a bunch of actors. I can pretty much tell who everyone is, but some of them are a bit off. I thought that the portrait of Marlon Brando looked a bit like Simon Baker (The Mentalist)... so yeah, kind of off. That's probably the worst picture of Nicholas Cage that they could have used. I think I would have preferred this one:


And finally...


This isn't so much nerdy or geeky, but just kind of out there. Do people put things like this in their homes? Honestly, it reminds me of the "Draw me like one of your French girls" meme.

Have you seen any geeky items at the Flea Market? Share them on Kentucky Geek Girl's Facebook page!

Be sure to follow me on Twitter @geekgirlinky
Add me to your circles on Google Plus!

No comments:

Post a Comment