Thursday, June 23, 2011

Movie Review: The Green Lantern


As I've said before, I'm not a huge comic book aficionado, however, I appreciate comic book movies. I went into seeing Green Lantern with only a basic knowledge of the story of the Green Lantern Corps, but as I am a fan of lore and a good story, I have come to really enjoy the world of the Green Lantern. The very beginning of the movie provides an excellent way for those not in the know to get caught up on the story. The introduction explains who the Corps came into being and the creation of Oa by the Guardians.


Overall, I thought it was a decent flick. It's not the best comic book movie I've ever seen, my heart will always belong to X-Men, but I thought that it was pretty good. Ryan Reynolds is wonderful eye candy and from what I've seen played Hal Jordan decently, though some say that he didn't epitomize the character. Peter Skarsgaard is an amazing actor and I love the idea behind Hector. However, the script was atrocious and that didn't really let Skarsgaard shine as brightly as I would have hoped. Mark Strong was awesome as Sinestro. Oa looked beautiful even though we didn't see nearly enough of it and the other effects were very cool as well.

I will check out the animated series that is set to premiere this fall, and though a select scene in the movie sets things up for a sequel, I'm not honestly sure if there will be one. I know that fans are wanting Reynolds to start on Deadpool and soon. I'm not sure if the box office warranted the green light for a sequel anyway, I know that critics will say that it doesn't need to happen.

The thing I like about Green Lantern, though, is the message: the power of will can overcome fear. It's a romantic notion, but if we can all learn to overcome our fears and persevere through courage, then can't we all be a Green Lantern? 

No comments:

Post a Comment