Friday, May 30, 2014

Flashback Friday: Songs of 1999


Okay, here's the thing, I just turned 27 on Monday, May 26 (and the blog turned 4!), so I've been on somewhat of a nostalgia kick the last few days. My focus in particular has been on music and I randomly started listening to songs from 1999-2001, those halcyon days of youth where I was in 7th-9th grade. It was the age of TRL, when MTV and Vh1 actually played music, when I'd get off the bus just in time to watch the countdown before getting on dialup internet and perfecting my Expage.com website, which sadly no longer exists, or playing around on whatever website builder was popular at the time. This was a simpler time folks and I had my priorities.

So in this week's Flashback Friday, I'm just going to share a few music videos from 1999, picking songs that came out 15 years ago seemed pretty appropriate. Let me know in the comments some of your favorite songs from 1999!



There were a lot of great songs to come out of 1999. While everyone worried about the y2k bug, I was just jamming to some awesome music. I actually still own most of my CDs from 1999, but with digital music becoming en vogue I can't honestly say the last time I listened to one of them.

Cher - Believe
I've been a lifelong Cher fan and the fact that she's performing in Louisville on this week and I can't go really just rips my soul in half. I spent a lot of time as a youngin' watching reruns of The Sonny and Cher Show and countless re-watches of Behind the Music on Vh1. I had her discography memorized and still work on Cher impression. Believe was a great album because it brought her into a new age and it was the first use of auto-tune that I can recall.



Robbie Williams - Millennium


Ricky Martin - Livin' La Vida Loca
As I am wont to do, I go through phases where I'm terribly obsessed with an artist, actor, whatever. Ricky Martin was the object of my affections the moment I saw the video for Livin' La Vida Loca. He was suave, enticing, and just absolutely beautiful to behold. Also, he wore leather pants and had great hair. I was smittin. So much so that I even made my first yahoo handle "rickys_chica" - oh yes, I was enamored. I rode the wave of his popularity with every Spanglish word. I happened to hear the cast recording from his run in Evita and I thought that he did a fairly good job with his role as Che, but I learned he actually made his Broadway debut in the role of Marius in Les Miserables.


Jay-Z featuring Amil (Of Major Coinz) and Ja Rule - Can I Getta?


Will Smith featuring Dru Hill and Kool Moe Dee - Wild, Wild, West
Oh, Will Smith. I loved Big Willie Style. I was a huge fan of Miami and the theme from Men in Black. But I was so excited for Wild, Wild, West. I loved the show as a kid and when Smith was cast in the remake movie alongside Kevin Kline, I was elated. The movie turned out to be a commercial flop; even spider-legged Kenneth Branagh couldn't save it. Even still, the song remains one of my favorites from 1999 and I will gladly break out my rap skills when given the chance.

*Sadly, I couldn't find the official music video, but I do enjoy this live performance.
Be sure to like Kentucky Geek Girl on Facebook and follow my daily updates on Twitter! If you have any questions or want to discuss partnership opportunities, be sure to send me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment