Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Trailer Tuesday 8/27



I've been a terrible cinephile lately. Having started out the year seeing (at least) a movie a week, I've really slowed down in my film viewing. I did see Pacific Rim last month and then Elysium and The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones in the past couple of weeks. With a slew of highly anticipated movies this Fall and Winter, I know that I'll be back to my regular routine in the coming months. Hit the jump for trailer goodness.



The Counselor - October 25
Ridley Scott is back in the director's chair with an original screenplay by Cormac McCarthy and a stunning cast including Michael Fassbender, Brad Pitt, Penelope Cruz, Javier Bardem, Natalie Dormer, and Cameron Diaz. There are not a lot of details to put into a synopsis other than it's about "a lawyer who finds himself in over his head when he gets involved in drug trafficking." The film looks very intense, which is something we've come to expect from both Scott and McCarthy. With such a star-studded cast we might hear Oscar buzz surrounding the film.



The Monuments Men - December 18
This movie is going to be really fun. Think Oceans Eleven meets Saving Private Ryan. The ensemble looks almost flawless: George Clooney, Matt Damon, John Goodman, Hugh Bonneville, Bill Murray, and Cate Blanchett all star in this story of a team who set out to save some of the most precious cultural artifacts of all time from the hands of the Nazis and the destruction of World War II. Based on a 2010 book by Robert M. Edsel, The Monuments Men follows this band of allies who must infiltrate enemy nations in order to recover important treasures. I'm ridiculously excited about this to say the least and I want to read Edsel's book before I see the movie.



Vampire Academy - February 14
When I say Vampires, you say "Don't Sparkle!" Vampires (Don't Sparkle!). Um, okay, now that we've got that out of the way... Vampire Academy, based on the first book in a series by Richelle Mead,  looks completely different than Twilight and that's a really good thing. Granted, it's based on a Young Adult book and because it's YA and vampires that comparison will probably be made, but I think that there's a bigger picture here that people need to focus on. Even director Mark Waters (who directed one of my favorites - Mean Girls) acknowledges that there is a difference here. Having not read this series yet I turned to my very good friend and YA aficionado @jessie_rabbit who broke things down for me quite well:
"It's a different story. People that will compare the two are looking solely at genre/audience and not stories. Really, VA isn't a love story. It's about those two lady FRIENDS. It's not doing anyone any favors to make the same damn movie over and over. At least that's how I see VA. Lissa and Rose do (of course) have love interests and that adds drama, but the whole story starts off with them trying to escape from a problem that has shit all to do with a dude."


There you have it. Vampire Academy does not equal Twilight. If I hear you reference Twilight when talking about Vampire Academy, I will smite you.

Pompeii - February 21
This movie concerns me. On the one hand it looks aesthetically pleasing, thank you Paul W.S. Anderson, but on the other hand I'm apprehensive about the way that the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD is going to be handled. With the Gladiator protagonist played by Kit Harrington on a quest in the movie to save his love from the disaster, I'm thinking that the history is going to take back seat to the romance. I'm hoping to be surprised though. Most of my favorite historical films do have a romantic aspect to them. In all honesty it's unavoidable, so we'll just have to see. The effect of the eruption looked really good on the big screen, I must say.



Divergent - March 24
We got a 26 second teaser earlier in the day, but by the MTV Video Music Awards we had the first full trailer for the adaptation of Divergent, Veronica Roth's 2011 dystopian YA novel. Shailene Woodley stars as Tris, a teenager is a dystopian Chicago where everyone is split into factions based on their personalities: Abnegation (the selfless), Amity (the peaceful), Candor (the honest), Dauntless (the brave) and Erudite (the intelligent). It quickly seems that Tris is Divergent, which means that she has aptitude for more than one faction. Her mentor is Four, played by Theo James. I didn't recognize him at first, but after taking a look at his IMDB page I discovered that he played the ill-fated Kemal Pamuk in the third episode of Downton Abbey. Woodley has had a strong career thus far with roles in The Descendants and The Secret Life of an American Teenager. She's set to star in The Fault in Our Stars, another YA adaptation which is currently filming. Divergent also stars Kate Winslet and Ashley Judd.



This draws this week's Trailer Tuesday to a close. What movies are you excited about seeing?

Be sure to like Kentucky Geek Girl on Facebook and follow my daily updates on Twitter! If you have any questions or want to discuss partnership opportunities, be sure to send me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment