Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Trailer Tuesday: YA Fantasy, Horror, and Hugh Jackman, Oh My!


After a few mediocre weeks, the Hollywood box office, Man of Steel kicked it up in June and has now broken the half billion mark. It really needs to continue to do well  in order to get a Justice League movie off the ground. You can check out my review and see if you agree! World War Z is exceeding my expectation and has already grossed $250 million in the last two weeks. I still don't foresee it breaking even, because $700 million is a pretty hefty price tag. I was pleasantly surprised to see that The Heat, the buddy-cop comedy starring Melissa McCarthy and Sandy Bullock, out-grossed White House Down, which is essentially Die Hard with Jamie Foxx impersonating Barack Obama.

Hit the jump for trailers!

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters - August 7
The international trailer for the next adaptation of the the Rick Riordan penned book series includes new scenes and more Nathan Fillion. I really like Logan Lerman and I think he's going to grow into a terrific adult actor. I thought he was fantastic in Perks of Being a Wallflower and he does very well as Percy Jackson. I was glad to see that a sequel was ordered for The Lightning Thief and I think this should be a good movie.



The Colony - Release date unknown at this time
It seems like Laurence Fishburne is everywhere, y'all. After leaving CSI, he's had a turn as Perry White in Man of Steel, portrays Jack Crawford on Hannibal (and does it masterfully), and now he's lead in The Colony, which is sort of post-apocalyptic. Really, though, it's set in the next ice age, icepocalypse? Anyway, the movie examines what happens when the world has changed. It would seem that the people change with it. I won't spoil the trailer because I like the shock factor, but take a look. It should be a pretty decent flick.



The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones - August 21
Here's the second international trailer for the first in The Mortal Instruments series. The book is great, I'll actually be posting my review soon. Having started reading the book after the actors had already been cast, I fell into the place that I was for Warm Bodies and Game of Thrones, so I don't have the same qualms as the die-hard TMI fans. Even still, I love Lena Headey and I'm glad she was cast as Jocelyn Fray. And Jared Harris! Love him. I'm super-duper excited to see this movie!



300: Rise of an Empire - March 7, 2014
Let's just talk about the timeline of this movie. According to Wikipedia, it takes place before, during, and after the 2007 film. I just... I can't with this. I want to see what happens considering the Battle of Thermopylae was a freaking massacre. I mean, I liked 300 for the most part and hell, I saw it in IMAX, but still. I just don't know what to think about how they're setting this movie up with the Battles of Artemesium and Salamis. And if they show the back story of Xerxes from the Persian perspective, I'm just afraid that the movie may be biting off more than it can chew. Still, I'm glad that Lena Headey, Rodrigo Santoro (as Xerxes!), and the anti-Sean Bean David Wenham will be reprising their roles. Sadly, no Gerard Butler.



Prisoners - September 20
Whoa, dang. This movie is going to be heavy. When I read the synopsis, I was expecting something akin to Taken and Taken 2, but there's definitely a different take on that kind of story. Also, Hugh Jackman is not messing around in this movie. Which is good, because he'll probably need it after The Wolverine tanks. Okay, that was harsh. I'm sure it will do better than X-Men Origins, which is a blight on the Marvel cinematic universe. But seriously, this movie may earn him an Oscar nomination. One for him and one for Jake Gyllenhaal, actually.



The Conjuring - July 19
I love horror movies and I grew up watching them pretty religiously. My high school best friend was a huge horror fan and we were constantly talking about the latest horror news. (I still say that if podcasts had truly existed back in the early 2000s, we would have had one.) Anyway, from the filmmakers who brought us Saw and Insidious comes The Conjuring, which is based on the true accounts of The Warrens. If you know much about paranormal research, you'll recognize their names. They were involved with the Amityville case on which The Amityville Horror is based. Lorraine appeared on A Haunting, on which she discussed some of their cases. I'm a gasper, so I feel like that'll be happening a lot throughout the film if I go see it. Oh, and I love me some Patrick Wilson.

No comments:

Post a Comment