Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Trailer Tuesday: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and more!


This week's edition of Trailer Tuesday is going to look at both movies and television. This was a big week for the entertainment industry as the networks announced their pick-ups and cancellations for the Fall season. NBC seemed to almost gut the network while CW kept all of their programming. Along with the announcements made from the various networks, trailers were released for many of the new shows that have just found their home. Hit the jump for this week's trailers!


Dracula


This doesn't feel like a show that should be on NBC. The budget seems so big, the plot so far beyond what NBC has been accustomed to the past few years. The trailer touts the producers of Downton Abbey and the creator of The Tudors behind the series. Still, I'm skeptical because it just seems like it could be too big. I'm afraid that it's going to be another Mockingbird Lane: awesome concept, no return. NBC ordered 10 episodes back in December, so hopefully we get to see at least that many.

I really do like the plot. The series will be set in Victorian London where Dracula comes disguised as an American entrepreneur. It might, hopefully, be another refreshing take on the Vampire genre, while hopefully doing justice to Bram Stoker's character. Jonathan Rhys Meyers will play the eponymous role.


Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 



This is something to which fans have been awaiting the official announcement for weeks. At nearly the eleventh hour ABC made the announcement that they have picked up Joss Whedon's new television series based on S.H.I.E.L.D. and featuring the character Phil Coulson that Clark Gregg plays so brilliantly in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. With so much hype around The Avengers and Phase II, if the writing and production on this show is as good as The Avengers was, there should be no problem with it hanging around for awhile.

Plus, it's not on Fox. Welcome back to TV, Joss. I hope you can stay awhile.

August: Osage County 



I remember 2008 when Tracy Letts' play, on which the film is based, swept the Tonys. The story centers around the disappearance of Beverly Weston, the patriarch of a seemingly estranged family, and what happens after it's been determined that he actually committed suicide. This cast is stellar: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, Ewan McGregor, Sam Shepard, Chris Cooper, Juliet Lewis, Abigail Breslin, Durmot Mulroney, and Benedict Cumberbatch. I mean, really, what an ensemble. I can already tell that this will be an Oscar contender. It's being produced by George Clooney, so there's some fantastic star power on all sides of this project. It really does look like a fantastic film, so I think that we'll see some great things come of it and even more recognition for Benny, which will be great.

Release Date: November 8, 2013

Gravity



Speaking of George Clooney, this week marked the release of the first teaser for his upcoming movie Gravity, which also stars Sandra Bullock. In the film, an explosion leaves two astronauts drifting through space and attempting to get back to Earth. I don't even know if I can see this movie in theaters. I might either cry because I'm so nervous or just laugh because I'm so nervous. Either way, this movie is going to make me really nervous and I just don't know if  I'll be able to stand it. It's going to be really great or just really WTF the entire time, or it could be like 127 Hours in space. Please let no one have to cut off their arm.

Release date: October 4, 2013

Join me next time for another edition of Trailer Tuesday. What movies and TV shows are you most looking forward to this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment