Thursday, December 6, 2012

See SpaceLock in Star Trek Into Darkness Teaser


It's here! It's here! Christmas has come early for Star Trek fans. Well, it's come early for me at least. I woke up this morning, admittedly late, to a tweet from a friend that the teaser trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness premiered this morning.

When J.J. Abrams decided to release this trailer in advance of the sneak preview fans will get during the The Hobbit in IMAX beginning next week, he decided to set phasers to stun. The trailer, with narration by none other than Benedict Cumberbatch, is an action-packed minute that will leave you gasping for breath and wanting more. 

"You think your world is safe. It is an illusion, a comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace. For I have returned to have my vengeance."
Chills, my friends, chills.

Before I go on, however, let me stop for two minutes, to say that trailers like this are getting very formulaic. I'm reminded of Inception (BRRWWAAHHHHHHHH), The Dark Knight Rises (When Space Francisco is Ashes, Mr. Spock, you have my permission to die), and the very recent Iron Man 3 trailer (Explosions at key moments in the trailer highlighted by crescendos). Does that detract from the stunning visuals and the sheer epicness of the trailer itself? For me, no way. I've been super excited for this all year, and I get this movie as an early birthday present!


The synopsis was released on November 27 and what we see in the trailer definitely reflects the synopsis:

“In Summer 2013, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes Star Trek Into Darkness.
When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organisation has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.
With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.
As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.”
Then, we got the movie poster with Benedict Cumberbatch in all of his trench coat wearing glory. 


Vaguely reminiscent of The Dark Knight Rises, I know, I know. We definitely know that Cumberbatch's character is going to bring with him a lot of destruction. There's been speculation regarding the city in the background of the poster. Some have said London, other San Francisco. I'm honestly not sure where Starfleet is located in this Alternate Timeline, is it SF? That would still be highly logical. Regardless, this villain is definitely going to rain down fire and vengeance upon Kirk and his crew. 

Again, we get this convention of the lone figure with its back to the audience which seems to be the norm for these blockbuster films? This one is pretty powerful, especially because we don't know who this villain is. I mean, with The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises we got The Joker and Bane respectively, but the jury is still out on who Cumberbatch is actually playing. Khan Noonien Singh? Gary Mitchell? Seeing as though this villain is supposed to be someone from Kirk's past, my vote is on Mitchell, who in The Original Series was an Academy friend of James T. Kirk. I know that I had jumped on the Khan train early, but I would honestly be really surprised if it turned out to be Khan. 



Also, check out this Japanese trailer for an extra bit of footage (yes, 12 seconds makes a big difference)



So, who do you think the villain is? What about the blonde Starfleet officer? Let me know your thoughts in the comments!

Star Trek Into Darkness beams into theaters on May 17, 2013!

N.B. Don't forget that one of the guests for Lexington Comic and Toy Convention in 2013 is Joseph Gatt. Jarrod Greer, LCTC's promoter, reminded me of this. He's slated to have a major role, but like who Cumberbatch is playing, his character has not been revealed either. If we don't have an answer by then, you can ask him yourself on March 16 and 17!

2 comments:

  1. I would like to ask the synopsis writer exactly what it is that J.J. Abrams has pioneered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed both Alias and Lost. Frankly, I love that he composed the theme to Alias, though I suppose that's not "pioneering." Why don't you tell me why you DON'T think he is a pioneering director?

      Delete