Monday, May 7, 2012

Kentucky Theater Unveils Line-up for 'Summer Movie Classics' Series

Something to look forward to in Lexington every year is the Kentucky Theater's summer-long celebration of classic cinema. I've seen several movies at the Kentucky as part of the series including one of my favorites, "It's A Wonderful Life." There are gems every summer and in 2010 my favorite "Raiders of the Lost Ark" played on my birthday! I'm hoping it comes back, maybe next year, so I can see my favorite movie on the big screen. I love that the Kentucky does this every year. It's a huge hit with people in Lexington and contributes to the culture downtown of being out and about during the summer.


May 30: Charade (1963) – Starring Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Walter Matthau, and James Coburn. What a cast!

June 6: The Wizard of Oz (1939) – This is simply a must-see on the big screen. Sing-a-longs are encouraged!

June 13: Johnny Guitar (1954)

June 20: Ghostbusters (1984) – One of my favorite films and so highly quotable. "Listen, do you smell something?"

June 27: Annie Hall (1977)

July 4: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) – Very nice choice for a film to show on Independence Day. I personally would have picked "1776" but I think that this will be very cool.

July 11: It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963) – Super star-studded cast.

 

July 18: Casablanca (1942) – This movie turns 70 this year. Holy cow!

July 25: Carousel (1956) – Wonderful Rodgers and Hammerstein’s musical starring Gordon MacRae and Shirley Jones.

Aug. 1: Notorious (1946) – Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman team up for this thriller.

Aug. 8: Mary Poppins (1964) – The film that I'm most looking forward to this summer: my favorite live-action Disney film. If I had to choose my fantasy grandparents, they would be Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke. 

Aug. 15: The Manchurian Candidate (1962) – Angela Lansbury is wonderfully bat-shit crazy in this movie.

Aug. 22: Pillow Talk (1959) – Romantic comedies have sure come a long way.

Aug. 29: White Heat (1949)

Sept. 5: The Leopard (1963)

Showtimes are 1:30 and 7:15 p.m., admission is $5. For more information, contact the Kentucky Theater by calling (859) 231-7924 or visit the theater's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment