Friday, July 15, 2011

First Impressions Friday (4): Trivial Pursuit Steal



First Impressions is a meme hosted at Within Pages where we take a look at all things, mostly booky, and reflect on our initial thoughts. Non-bloggers, non-book bloggers, and everyone alike can participate on any topic you'd like. Feel free to drop your links or thoughts in the comments!

As a huge trivia fan, I love the game Trivial Pursuit. When I was in high school, I was captain of our high school's quick recall team (Go Rams!) and was dubbed "Queen of Useless Knowledge." I even watched the Trivial Pursuit game show with Wink Martindale when I was a kid. Yeah, I love trivia. We were perusing the toy section of a store a few evenings ago and as we are wont to do, we stumbled upon the board and card games. I picked up a set of Indiana Jones playing cards with art from all four movies. However, another card game caught the eye: a Trivia Pursuit card game.



Trivial Pursuit Steal is a fast paced card game by Hasbro that features the categories from the classic game that we know and love. However, it's such a fast game that you can be done in just 15 minutes. My first impression of the game was marked with excitement because I love games where you can take away things from the other players. I guess I'm evil like that. :-) Steal cards are played in place of a regular wedge card on your turn. It allows you to choose a wedge from another player to place in front of you. Answering questions is just like playing the classic board game, you draw a card and instead of collecting wedges in your game piece, you just place the wedge cards in front of you. Buzz cards allow you to steal the question from the answering player if they get it wrong. Last but certainly not least, double steal cards allow you to take two wedges. Of course, you can block a steal by playing a block card.

I liked the game. I did notice that because the game was so short, and because we played multiple times, we kept getting a lot of the same questions. I also felt that some of the questions were placed under the wrong category. A question about heavy metals was listed under History instead of Science and Nature. Over all, I enjoyed this game. If you want a quick dose of trivia without having to play through a full game of Trivial Pursuit, then this is definitely the game for you. If you like a game where you can mess over the other players and take their glory, then the Trivial Pursuit Card Game is definitely for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment