Thursday, June 7, 2012

Garden of Your Mind (Mister Rogers Remixed)


Having been born in 1987, I got to experience the wonder of Mister Rogers when I was growing up. There were so many wonderful programs on PBS (or in my case KET - Kentucky Education Television, the local PBS affiliate) but my absolute favorite was Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. It, coupled with Reading Rainbow, helped fuel my curiosity and imagination as a youngster an the enduring spirit of Fred Rogers still resonates with me. I mean, where else could you go learn tai'chi, see awesomely random video tapes from Mr. McFeeley on topics like how shoes are made, and visit the Neighborhood of Make Believe? I was so sad to learn of Fred Rogers' passing in 2001, it was such a sad day for children everywhere knowing that there would be no more new episodes of his program. I hope that today's parents expose their children to Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, because it helped fuel my imagination.



Today, PBS Digital Studios released the first video in a series of PBS icons remixed. Video mashup artist John Boswell, who is a huge Mister Rogers fan, produced this amazing video which pays tribute to the children's programming icon. I'll be daggoned if I don't remember most of the clips featured in the video. If you were a fan of Mister Rogers growing up (and this isn't just directed to people my age, the show was on from 1968 until 2001) then you should appreciate it. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did, because I'll be honest that I teared  while watching it. It just goes to show that kindness, gentility, and a little imagination will help make this world a better place.

Do you have a favorite moment from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood?

No comments:

Post a Comment