Monday, July 5, 2010

Website Review: Fuel the Geek

Before I deleted my old blog, I had started to drift the way of a diet blogger. I'd created a page for my weight loss tracking, but since stopped doing Weight Watchers. $40 a month can be a pretty big expense so I got off course. My boss, Ann, started Weight Watchers several weeks ago and she's doing great, achieving 2 awesome milestones. She's definitely inspired me to get back into it.

But then I checked my twitter followers and saw that I was being followed by Table of Geeks. I love getting new followers, especially when they aren't spam, so I checked out their feed. Haven't been able to listen to their podcasts yet due to my POS computer, but I saw another project that they're working on: Fuel the Geek.



It's a new website, but they have already uploaded a good bit of content. In short, Fuel the Geek is the ultimate gamer diet. And no, it's not composed of Red Bull and Doritos. This is a balanced dieting plan so that even geeks can eat in a healthy way. The system is based on the Weight Watchers point system.

The site outlines the way you calculate your points, they call them hit points, and discusses the point values for different foods, damage points. By rolling your character, you find out how many hit points you have for each day. Then, you can level up and claim you rewards.

With categories for various point values, including those yummy 0 point veggies, you can find the perfect food for those long Dungeons and Dragons sessions. I mean, we all know you have to have something delicious to nom on and it doesn't have to be Cheez Whiz.

So, the Fuel the Geek plan helps you think of weight loss like a quest. No different than any mission in World of Warcraft or Dungeons and Dragons. You can still get loot and you see your experience pay off by dropping the pounds.

Since I've just decided to rate stuff and haven't come up with a scoring system, I'll be totally unoriginal and it Fuel the Geek 5 stars for originality, content and general geekiness. Major props to Robb, Abby, and Clay over at Table of Geeks for coming up with this site. I'm totally jealous that I wasn't the one who thought of it. :-)


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment