Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Lord of the Rings Director's Cuts Coming to Theaters



I'm a fan of The Lord of the Rings. The series was originally released when I was in high school and my mom and I saw all three films together. The cake for my 17th birthday was even Lord of the Rings themed. Excitement is building for The Hobbit movie and I'm getting ready to read The Hobbit as part of the Geek Girls Book Club. Definitely a Tolkien fan. When I read @amy_geek's tweet earlier that the LotR Extended Editions were going to get a theatrical release this year, I was stoked! Then, I did some research on TheOneRing.net and it looks like there's not a chance of the movies coming to my area.

Over three weekends beginning June 28, 2011, AMC Theatres will show Director's Cuts of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and the Return of the King, respectively. This will help build excitement for the Blu-ray release of the same films this year. There isn't a lot of information about this theatrical event yet, but TheOneRing.net will be providing more information as it is available. Currently, there's just a shell of an event listing for the movie events. Sadly, however, it looks like the closest AMC Theater to Lexington, where I live, is Newport. That's so far away the Find a Theater tool won't even bring up the listing. Sad times.

It looks like AMC is bringing back a lot of movies for "one night only." What are your thoughts about these special movie events? Are they a great way to build hype about Blu-ray releases? Do they allow a new generation to experience a movie on the big screen?

1 comment:

  1. [...] of Ice and Fire series and am nearly halfway done with A Game of Thrones. As I said in my post on Lord of the Rings Director’s Cut, I’m a big fan of J.R.R. Tolkien, though I’ve never actually read his epic trilogy.On [...]

    ReplyDelete